Sunday 22 March 2015

Who Loves Ya Baby? Part 13

If I go out I spend my time staring at the cracks in the pavement, I tend to keep my head down...it's easier, because people either stare at me or they pretend they haven't, if I look down then I can't see them noticing there is something different.

I'm not sure who I feel sorrier for, me or them...

I've now lost my eyelashes, not strictly true, I haven't lost them, I wouldn't be quite that careless. They have gradually fallen out, the realisation hit me one day when attempting to put mascara on the wand kept hitting my eye-lid instead, what a muppet. It took several goes before I came to the conclusion the reason I was making such a mess was not due to my bad eyesight, it was because there was no longer anything to put mascara on. That item of make up  has now been relegated to the box of useless-for-the-moment-items together with my shampoo, conditioner, straighteners, grips and hairbands.

My eyebrows are practically non-existent although I can pencil those in, trouble is I don't always do it very well and there's a dilemma, because once bodged I can't then scrub off the offending brows, just in case I rub off the remaining hairs. Life has become very complicated. The real problem I have now is that I have that look...the 'cancer' look. You know it, you've seen it a hundred times and when faced with it you didn't know where to look either, now I have it and aside from a few very close friends and my family who can still see the real me despite my anonymous face, I avoid people and don't tend to venture very far unless I absolutely have to.

I have been out, needs must and all that, and sometimes I do feel brave enough to deal with the looks and the stares. In the car I whip off my beanie if it's too warm and watch the reactions of those driving past, sitting in traffic has been a real test which sometimes I can do and more often than not I can't. People can't help staring, I must look quite odd, I was in the hospital car park recently, hatless, driving slowly around looking for a space and I watched as people did a double take and then studied the space above my head. It makes me feel like the biggest freak in the world and I try not to let it get me down but sometimes it just does.

I have friends who tell me I should care less and I do wish I could, I'm just not very good at it. I don't like not wanting to go out, I don't want to hide away, I would like to feel confident about who I am and what I'm going through but it is quite hard to do when it's just me, or so it seems, which brings me on to something which has really puzzled me. Just where are the rest of them? Where are all the women who are going through chemotherapy? Are they all hiding at home because it's easier than dealing with the discomfort felt by others? Should I start an out and proud group for baldy females so they / we feel a bit more relaxed about being in public. If this awful disease is so common and loads of poor women are going through the same treatment, then surely there needs to be an advice manual given to the public of what to do and how to react when they have a baldy in their midst.

I have been very lucky, it's been really cold so I have managed to keep my head covered with a beanie. I'm rubbish at wearing head scarves and they are a bit obvious, wrap a scarf around your head and you may think you are channeling a film star from the forties but you are kidding yourself, that look screams cancer /treatment and chemo all at once. My wig was fine to start although it was so itchy I gave up on it, now I've lost all facial hair it looks terrible, like a bloke wearing the wrong colour toupee, so my choices are somewhat limited, and with the onset of warmer weather I can feel a totally reclusive moment coming on, 'I vont to be alone' only I don't...not really.

I have been to restaurants and coffee shops with friends and buoyed up with their words of love and encouragement I have even felt courageous enough to take my beanie off, it is shocking to see and I really am sorry if I made anyone feel uncomfortable. Kids stared, and that was fine and expected, they stopped after fierce stares from their parents. It was liberating for me and once I had stopped blushing, it felt great. I am not unsympathetic though, I have wondered how I reacted, before all of this and the fact is it is very difficult, knowing what to do for the best.
I was in a supermarket with The Boyfriend a couple of weeks ago and he nudged me and pointed out this lady who had walked past us, "Like you" he whispered and smiled at me. I whipped round and saw her, she was wearing a turban hat and had painted eyebrows, I cannot explain how I felt when I saw her but it was sort of lovely, I didn't feel quite so alone, there was another one just like me and for a split second I really wanted to rush past all the regular shoppers and go up and hug her. Deciding that she would probably call security I left it, but I definitely felt better for having seen her out.

If you would like to know what I think you should do when you see someone who you believe may be going through chemotherapy I can only say what I would like. Go ahead and look at me,  and then smile at me please, because your smile will make me feel a million times better and in that split second I will pretend that all is normal and you can see me, just me.







No comments:

Post a Comment