Sunday 1 March 2015

You taking the Picc? Part 11


These are my new best food friends following each chemotherapy treatment:

Calippo ice lollies - Genius for taking away the metallic taste.
Carrs Crackers with butter and salt - When nothing else appeals.
Ginger Lemon and Tumeric Tea - It does good, tumeric is brilliant for infections apparently, and it tastes great and makes a change from water.
Roast Chicken with everything - I have to control myself over this, I'd eat it every day if I could. Was never a fan before all of this - weird.

I have also taken to rubbing ice cubes across my face every morning, I read it in a Sunday supplement magazine, some supermodel recommended it as a technique for keeping your skin young and I will freely admit to being taken in by any beauty tip which costs nothing and is fairly painless, the irony of those keen on youth through botox is not lost on me...inject yourself with poison to look better. Seriously?
I'm not saying the ice cubes are helping much but I have to say that much to my surprise I am, four treatments later, still with my eyebrows clinging on and pretty fresh looking skin. Even my oncologist said so, not that I trust her particularly but a compliment is a compliment. Mind you, I am now worried that because I have actually published this bit about the eyebrows I have jinxed it and they will start to fall out, I hope not, my eyelashes have all but disappeared so my eyebrows are all that's keeping me looking vaguely feminine.

I am digressing, I need to go back a bit, to when they told me I would need a picc line fitted. As you may remember me mentioning that my veins had all dried up after the first chemo, and not even a giant ice cube would bring them back to life, so as I had been advised at my first treatment I should really have a picc line fitted. 'It will make your life so much easier' they said. 'No more needles' they said. 'Very easy to do and maintain' they said, 'like a tap in your arm' although to be honest they had me at 'no more needles'...

In between an amazing Christmas (never been spoilt like it) and looking forward to a quiet new year before all the treatments started up again, I was booked in for an appointment to have this thing done. It did not even occur to me that it would be anything more complicated than the equivalent of having a blood test. You really would think that by now I would look these things up so I was fully versed in what was going to happen, but I much prefer the idea of burying my head in the sand as a good avoidance tactic until faced with the inevitable medical drama. That cold December day I dragged a Swedish friend along for the ride confident we would be in and out within the hour, convincing both of us that it would be easy and straightforward. So imagine my surprise when we walked into the room and we were shown a room and I was told to lie on the bed.

"Really? On the bed?" I asked, "Could I not just sit on the chair?"

The lovely nurse with her hair in Heidi plaits seemed quite sure I would need to lie down, for the local anaesthetic.

"I need an anaesthetic?" I asked incredulously. I do like to test everyone in the NHS, I'm sure they must think I'm a total pain in the backside but each time I am faced with some sort of new intrusive medical procedure I feel I should just check that it is definitely necessary.

"Yes", she replied, "When they told you about this did they not give you a manual describing what would happen?"

"Well yes, yes they did" I said, feeling my face burning up, regressing to a ten year old version of myself facing a teacher with missing homework. "I may not have read it, is all" I mumbled and climbed onto the bed.

"Well, what we are doing today is cutting a hole in your arm and the picc line is then inserted, the tube follows a track across your chest and hangs above your heart, making it much easier to administer the chemo." She explained smiling at me...."Then you will have an x ray to make sure it is in the right place and then we will give you a dressing and more instructions on how to look after it as it will need to be flushed out every week."

Crikey.

Here we go again, I had so much stuff given to me after the last session such as meds, prescriptions, Heat Card, pamphlets and so many instructions on what to do and where to go and who to call, that when they told me having a Pic Line put in would be easy, I believed them. I didn't for one second think I should study the booklet. Turns out I was wrong, I should have taken an extra curricular exam on Pic Lines, their insertion and their sodding maintenance because life was, quite simply, not going to be quite the same again for several months.

I have wondered about telling you this because people are beginning to think I am having an exceptionally rough ride, I'm not at all, okay there have been a few occasions things haven't gone swimmingly but I'm alright really, I just happen to be writing it all down and half the time it's my own lack of research or paying attention which leads me into these situations. I should know better but it's a huge learning curve and hopefully if anyone else is unfortunate enough to have to go through something similar they are at least prepared from my experiences, or at least they know to gen up on it.

You're welcome.

There I am, on the bed while Heidi covers everything up on my right arm with a sheet so I can't see what's happening (probably better) and then tries to find a vein... yeah, good luck with that. Meanwhile my Swedish friend, who I thought looked close to tears at my suffering and pain, actually stands up and moves closer to have a better look at proceedings.

"It's quite full on, isn't it?" I say to the nurse, "Not quite as run of the mill as I had thought, more of a mini-operation" I said, although I am hoping she is going to correct me and tell me it is a walk in the park.

"Yes" she replied, "Pretty full on and after this you need to go up to have an x ray to make sure it's in the right place and then we need to put your dressing on" and then she added, "but it IS going to make things so much easier for you".

I nodded obediently but I wanted to scream 'WHEN? and HOW?' Then there followed lots of digging around, and I could feel a liquid sensation, so I asked her:

"Gosh" I said, "It's bleeding quite a lot isn't it?"

"Can you feel something?" She asked looking around quite panicked, "You shouldn't be able to feel anything".

"I can't feel any pain but something is definitely pooling in my armpit, I'm taking an educated guess that it's blood" I said.

"All completely normal" she said, in a voice slightly higher than normal, even my lovely Swedish friend sat back down in her chair.

The x-ray showed up the fact that it had gone in a little too far so it needed to be pulled back between 4-6cm. It's a bit like when the string from a bikini top disappears into the lining after a spin in the washing machine and it then has to be dragged back out using a safety pin or something similar. Not quite the same technique but the same problem... It's easier using metaphors like that because then I can pretend it's not happening somewhere inside my chest.

It was realigned by someone I shall always refer to as Moonface, a large fellow with a very large and very round face, I know this because he worked on my arm and was very very close to me so I was able to appreciate the size of it. He was definitely a picc line expert, he took his work very very seriously (which is good) but his face to face interaction with a patient less so (not so good) so I was treated to degree level technical information about peripherally inserted central catheter (Piccs) while he did the dressing and bearing in mind he was inches from my face he did not once look directly at me but spoke directly to my upper right arm.

My picc line will have to be flushed once a week by community nurses in a place which is about a 40 minute drive from me,  and the dressing will need to be changed. I have a red booklet for the nurses down there which Moonface made a big song and dance about keeping it up to date, but at the time I was being a good patient and regardless of whether he bothered to look at me he was taking it all very seriously. There would be trouble ahead in the upkeep of my Picc line and I would be very much caught up in the middle of it, a bit like office politics or a medical version of he said / she said, but I had no idea then, that was all to come. Never a dull moment.

I went back home absolutely wiped out by the whole day. It didn't exactly hurt but it did ache, I could feel it that first night, a new foreign body sitting across my chest. It is staying there for at least three months, I can put up with most stuff and I accept what is happening to me, I know it is not the worse thing in the world, I know in fact it could be much worse but this thing, this bandaged up tap on my right arm, this thing I really hate. I can feel it all the time, it affects the way I dress, the way I shower (I need to wear a rubber sleeve) and sleeping is a worry. I know all the good it does, but I am not making friends with it and I am counting the days till it is removed...currently at the time of writing this I have about forty days left.

Definitely something to smile about.





1 comment:

  1. Bloody Hell - no pun intended. Roll on 40 days. Love you lots. You're amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete